Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Prayer Rocks

A couple weeks before Mother's Day, my mom asked me to make some prayer rocks for a lesson she was giving in church. I looked up a couple of ideas online, but didn't find anything I really liked. I came up with these:
They're pretty self explanatory. I took some smooth rocks, and spray painted them. It took a couple coats. Because of the roundness of the rocks, it did drip a bit. Spray painting was pretty easy, and it comes out looking nice, but I did have to touch up with a brush, so you may prefer painting with a brush. Any craft paint will work.
With some scrap fabric, I cut out small hearts. I didn't use a pattern or anything, free-hand worked great. Once the rocks were dry, and paint had been touched-up, I used mod podge (probably my favorite supply ever) to glue the fabric heart onto the rock. In case you don't know, mod podge is a glue/sealer. It's nice because it doesn't matter if you get the glue on the top, because it dries clear. I used it for both in this case, so the heart would stay put. You don't have to cover the whole rock with mod podge. It looks great just over and right outside the heart.
I just wrote "pray!" with a permanent marker on the other side of the rocks to make them technically prayer rocks. It's a little difficult to write on if the rock is not very smooth, so you can use stickers, or vinyl letters to make it look nicer.
You can use small craft rocks, too, and they are cute in a bowl as a decoration. You can actually do a lot of things with this idea. You can use Christmas fabric and fill a vase for a holiday decoration. You can cut out fabric with letters to spell something in rocks. Use big rocks and just paint letters on it to put over your mantel. Paperweights, gifts, decorations. Crafty people know crafts have endless possibilities.
The finished product after the mod podge has dried.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment